Week 4: APN Professional Development Plan Paper
The purpose of this assignment is to provide the student with an opportunity to explore the nurse practitioner (NP) practice requirements in his/her state of practice, NP competencies and leadership skills to develop a plan to support professional development.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
1. Examine roles and competencies of advanced practice nurses essential to performing as leaders and advocates of holistic, safe, and quality care. (CO1)
2. Analyze essential skills needed to lead within the context of complex systems. (CO3)
3. Explore the process of scholarship engagement to improve health and healthcare outcomes in various settings. (CO4)
Assignment should be submitted to the Week 4 Roles in APN Professional Development Plan dropbox by Sunday 11:59 p.m. MST at the end of Week 4.
When the assignment is placed in the dropbox, it will automatically be submitted to Turnitin. You may submit the assignment one additional time before the due date to lower the Turnitin score. If you choose to resubmit, the second submission will be considered final and subject to grading. Once the due date for the assignment passes, you may not resubmit to lower a Turnitin score.
This assignment will follow the late assignment policy specified in the course syllabus.
Students are expected to submit assignments by the time they are due. Assignments submitted after the due date and time will receive a deduction of 10% of the total points possible for that assignment for each day the assignment is late. Assignments will be accepted, with penalty as described, up to a maximum of three days late, after which point a zero will be recorded for the assignment.
In the event of a situation that prevents timely submission of an assignment, students may petition their instructor for a waiver of the late submission grade reduction. The instructor will review the student’s rationale for the request and make a determination based on the merits of the student’s appeal. Consideration of the student’s total course performance to date will be a contributing factor in the determination. Students should continue to attend class, actively participate, and complete other assignments while the appeal is pending.
Total Points Possible: 200
1. The APN Professional Development Plan paper is worth 200 points and will be graded on the quality of the content, use of citations, use of Standard English grammar, sentence structure, and overall organization based on the required components as summarized in the directions and grading criteria/rubric.
2. Submit the paper as a Microsoft Word Document, which is the required format at Chamberlain University. You are encouraged to use the APA Academic Writer and Grammarly tools when creating your assignment.
3. Follow the directions below and the grading criteria located in the rubric closely. Any questions about this paper may be posted under the Q & A Forum or emailed to your faculty.
4. The length of the paper should be 5-8 pages, excluding title page and reference page(s).
5. Support ideas with a minimum of 3 scholarly resources. Scholarly resources do not include your textbook. You may need to use more than 3 scholarly resources to fully support your ideas.
6. You may use first person voice when discussing information specific to your personal practice or skills.
7. APA (2010) format is required with both a title page and reference page(s). Use the following as Level 1 headings to denote the sections of your paper (Level 1 headings use upper- and lower-case letters and are bold and centered):
· APN Professional Development Plan (This is the paper introduction. In APA format, a restatement of the paper title, centered and not bold serves as the heading of the introduction section)
· APN Scope of Practice
· Nurse Practitioner (NONPF) Core Competencies
· Leadership Skills
1. Introduction: Provide an overview of what will be covered in the paper. Introduction should include general statements on scope of practice, competencies, and leadership, and identification of the purpose of the paper.
2. APN Scope of Practice: Research the Nurse Practice Act and APN scope of practice guidelines for the state in which you intend to practice after graduation. Describe the educational, licensure, and regulatory requirements for that state in your own words. Identify whether your state allows full, limited, or restricted NP practice. Discuss NP prescriptive authority in your state. Provide support from at least one scholarly source. Source may be the regulatory body that governs nursing practice in your state.
3. Nurse Practitioner (NONPF) Core Competencies: Review the NONPF Core Competencies. Describe two competency areas you believe to be personal strengths and two competency areas in which you have opportunities for growth. Discuss two scholarly activities you could do during the master’s program to help yourself achieve NP competencies. Provide support from at least one scholarly source. Source may be NONPF Core Competencies document provided via the link in the week 2 readings.
4. Leadership Skills: Analyze three leadership skills required to lead as an NP within complex systems. Describe two strategies you could use to help you develop NP leadership skills. Provide support from at least one scholarly source. Textbooks are not considered scholarly sources.
5. Conclusion: Provide a conclusion, including a brief summary of what you discussed in the paper.
|Introduction||16||8%||Provides an overview of what will be covered in the paper. Introduction should include:|
1. general statements on scope of practice
1. general statements on NP competencies
1. general statements on leadership
1. identification of the purpose of the paper
|APN Scope of Practice||72||36%||1. Identifies the intended state of practice after graduation|
1. Describes the educational, licensure, and regulatory requirements for state
1. Identifies whether the state allows full, limited, or restricted NP practice
1. Discusses NP prescriptive authority in the state
Provides support from at least one scholarly source. Source may be the regulatory body that governs nursing practice in the state.
|Nurse Practitioner (NONPF) Core Competencies||38||19%||1. Describes two competency areas believed to be student’s personal strengths|
1. Describes two competency areas in which student has opportunities for growth
1. Discusses two scholarly activities to do during the master’s program to help student achieve NP competencies.
Provides support from at least one scholarly source. Source may be NONPF Core Competencies document provided via the link in the week 2 readings.
|Leadership Skills||38||19%||1. Analyzes three leadership skills required to lead as an NP within complex systems|
1. Describes two strategies student could use to help develop NP leadership skills.
Provides support from at least one scholarly source.
|Conclusion||16||8%||Provides a conclusion, including a brief summary of what was discussed in the paper.|
|180||90%||Total CONTENT Points= 180 points|
|APA Formatting||10||5%||Formatting follows APA Manual (6th ed.) guidelines for|
1. title page
1. running head
1. body of paper (including citations and headings)
1. reference page
|Writing Mechanics||10||5%||Writing mechanics follow the rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, punctuation, and other aspects of formal written work as found in the 6th edition of the APA manual. The length of the paper is at least 5 pages but no more than 8 pages.|
|20||10%||Total FORMAT Points= 20 points|
|200||100%||ASSIGNMENT TOTAL=200 points|
NR500NP Wk4_APN Prof Dev Plan_SEPT19
References to use:
kerjordet, K. & Severinsson, E. (2010). The state of the science of emotional intelligence related to nursing leadership: An integrative review. Journal of Nursing Management, 18, 363-382. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2834.2010.01087.x
American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2011). The essentials of master’s education in nursing. Washington, DC: Author.
Boamah, S.A., Spence Laschinger, H.K. Wong, C. &, Clarke, S. (2017). Effect of transformational leadership on job satisfaction and patient safety outcomes. Nursing Outlook, 66, 180-189.
Canadian College of Health Leaders (2010). Key points to leadership growth. A checklist for leaders.
Crowell, D. M. (2015). Complexity leadership: Nursing’s role in health care delivery (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis Company.
Cummings, G. G., Tate, K., Lee, S. Wong, C., Paananen, T., Micaroni, S. P., Chatterjee, G. E. (2018). Leadership styles and outcome patterns for the nursing workforce and work environment: A systematic review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 85, 19-60.
Dartey-Baah, K. (2015). Resilient leadership: A transformational-transactional leadership mix. Journal of Global Responsibility, 6(1), 99-112.
Hamlin, L. (2015). Advanced practice nursing. Contexts of care. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
Institute of Medicine. (2010). The future of nursing. Leading change, advancing health. Washington, DC: Author
Marshall, E. S. (2016). Transformational leadership in nursing: From expert clinician to influential leader (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
McCormack, B. & McCance, T. (2017). Person-centred practice in nursing and health care. Theory and practice (2nd ed.). Oxford: Wiley Blackwell.
Mensik, J. (2014). Lead, drive, & thrive in the system. Silver Spring, MD: American Nurses Association.
National League for Nursing. (2012). Outcomes and competencies for graduates of practical/vocational, diploma, associate degree, baccalaureate, master’s, practice doctorate, and research doctorate programs in nursing. New York, NY: National League for Nursing.
National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. (2011). Nurse practitioner core competencies. Washington, DC: Author.
Porter-O’Grady, T. & Malloch, K. (2015). Quantum leadership: Building better partnerships for sustainable health (4th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Publishing.
Scully, N. J. (2015). Leadership in nursing: The importance of recognising inherent values and attributes to secure a positive future for the profession. Collegian, 22. doi:10.1016/j.colegn.2014.09.004
Tyczkowski, B., Vandenhouten, C., Reilly, J., Bansal, G., Kubsch, S., & Jakkola, R. (2015). Emotional intelligence (EI) and nursing leadership styles among nurse managers. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 39, 172-180. doi: 10.1097/NAQ.0000000000000094
Weiss, S. A. & Tappan, R. M. (2015). Essentials of nursing leadership and management (6th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis Company.
Click here to ORDER an A++ paper from our MASTERS and DOCTORATE WRITERS
Your assignment woes end here!
Who We Are
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched for a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Do you handle any type of coursework?
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
Is it hard to Place an Order?
ORDER NOW FOR AN ORIGINAL PAPER ASSIGNMENT
1. Click on the “Order Now” on the main Menu and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the “PAPER INFORMATION” section and the system will calculate your order price/cost.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
100% Reliable Site. Make this your Home of Academic Papers.
SCORE A+ WITH HELP FROM OUR PROFESSIONAL WRITERS: ORDER NOW FOR AN ORIGINAL PAPER ASSIGNMENT
Always Order High-Quality Academic Papers from HERE
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
We will process your orders through multiple stages and checks to ensure that what we are delivering to you, in the end, is something that is precise as you envisioned it. All of our essay writing service products are 100% original, ensuring that there is no plagiarism in them. The sources are well-researched and cited so that it is interesting. Our goal is to help as many students as possible with their assignments, i.e. our prices are affordable and services premium.
Looking for a Similar Assignment? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paper
Your assignment woes end here!