Topic: Nursing Case Study
1. Suzanne Jones, 76-year-old patient with COPD is admitted to the ICU. Mrs. Jones is placed on mechanical ventilation to assist with her breathing. After 2 days on the ventilator, Mrs. Jones is extubated and then transferred to a medical-surgical unit. The medication regimen is adjusted during the hospitalization. Mrs. Jones is discharged home after 6 days. She and her family are pleased with the care she receive in the hospital. (Learning Objectives 3 and 6)
a. Describe the quality performance tools that may be used to demonstrate that the care and treatment rendered are both cost-efficient and of high quality.
b. Describe the quality performance tools that may be used to demonstrate that the nursing care utilized is evidence-based care and high quality, resulting in patient satisfaction and good patient outcomes.
2. The registered nurse working in the cardiac care clinic is tasked with implementing quality improvement measures. To educate the clinic staff, the nurse plans an in-service program to introduce concepts of quality improvement and evidence-based practice. Additionally, the role of the case manager will be included in the presentation. The nurse plans on using care of the patient with Congestive Heart Failure as a template, and prepares sample clinical pathways, care maps, and multidisciplinary action plans. (Learning Objective 3)
a. Describe how clinical pathways are used to coordinate care of caseloads of patients.
b. What is the role of the case manager in evaluating a patient’s progress?
c. What are examples of evidence-based practice tools used for planning patient care?
. Mr. Jones, who is 74 years of age, is being discharged home after having a right knee replacement. The discharge orders from the orthopedic surgeon include: continuous passive motion (CPM) at the current setting of 0-degrees extension worn when walking with crutches (nonweight-bearing postdischarge day 1, and may begin weight-bearing postdischarge day 2); and home nurse visits, as needed. Physical therapy should begin the day after discharge at an orthopedic center. The orders will be faxed to the center. The following medications with prescriptions attached include: Lovenox (enoxaparin) 70 mg subcutaneously once daily for 7 days, Vicodin (hydrocodone bitartrate) 10 mg every 4 hours PRN, and Colace (docusate sodium) 100 mg every day. The patient is to follow up with the orthopedic surgeon in 3 weeks. His daughter plans to stay with him for several weeks to assist him with meals and household chores, and take him to physical therapy and the orthopedic surgeon for follow-up. Mr. Jones has three other children who live in other states. He is a widower and attends a local church. (Learning Objective 4)
a. What preparations should the nurse make in advance before attaining necessary community resources and referrals before the patient is discharged?
1. What necessary community resources and referrals will the patient need?
2. Mrs. Johnson, a 67-year-old female patient, has recently been discharged from the hospital following an admission for COPD. She has a past medical history of a colon resection related to acute diverticulitis. She developed a surgical wound infection that requires daily wet to dry wound packing and IV Zosyn. Mrs. Johnson was discharged with home oxygen. To manage her care at home, home care visits were ordered. (Learning Objective 5)
a. What would be involved in setting up the first home care visit?
1. Describe the nursing assessments and management that would occur during the visit.
1. Mrs. Elle, 80 years of age, is a female patient who is diagnosed with end-stage cancer of the small intestine. She is currently receiving comfort measures only in hospice. She has gangrene of her right foot and has a history of diabetes controlled with oral agents. She is confused and the physician has determined that she is unable to make her own informed decisions. The hospice nurse, not realizing that the weekly order for CBC and renal profile had been discontinued, obtained the labs and sent them to the nearby laboratory for processing. The abnormal lab results obtained later that day revealed that the patient needed a blood transfusion. The hospice nurse updated the patient’s medical power of attorney who was distressed at the report. The patient’s wishes were to die peacefully and to not have to undergo an amputation of her right foot. But if the patient receives the blood transfusion, she may live long enough to need the amputation. The patient’s physician had previously informed the medical power of attorney that the patient would most likely not be able to survive the amputation. The patient’s medical power of attorney had made the request to cease all labs so that the patient would receive comfort measures until she died. The patient has no complaint of shortness of breath or discomfort. (Learning Objective 4)
a. What ethical dilemma exists?
1. Who are the stakeholders and what gains or losses do each have?
1. What strategies should the hospice nurse take to resolve the ethical dilemma?
2. The nurse receives a 12-year-old girl from the operating room after an emergent appendectomy due to ruptured appendix. Upon arrival to the postanesthesia care unit, the patient is drowsy, but arousable to voice; she was extubated in the operating room and is receiving oxygen by facemask at 40%. She has two peripheral IVs in her left arm that are infusing Lactated Ringers solution at 100 mL/hr. A nasogastric tube is attached to low constant suction, and a small amount of aspirate is noted. She has a urinary catheter that is draining clear, yellow urine. Her abdominal dressing is dry and intact. Upon arousal, she complains of abdominal pain. (Learning Objective 5)
a. What NANDA-approved nursing diagnoses may be relevant to this patient?
1. Once the nursing diagnoses are determined, what steps does the nurse take to complete the Planning Phase of the Nursing Process?
1. What is the difference between nursing diagnoses and collaborative problems?
Case Study, Chapter 4, Health Education and Health Promotion
Click here to ORDER an A++ paper from our MASTERS and DOCTORATE WRITERS
Your assignment woes end here!
Who We Are
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched for a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Do you handle any type of coursework?
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
Is it hard to Place an Order?
ORDER NOW FOR AN ORIGINAL PAPER ASSIGNMENT
1. Click on the “Order Now” on the main Menu and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the “PAPER INFORMATION” section and the system will calculate your order price/cost.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
100% Reliable Site. Make this your Home of Academic Papers.
SCORE A+ WITH HELP FROM OUR PROFESSIONAL WRITERS: ORDER NOW FOR AN ORIGINAL PAPER ASSIGNMENT
Always Order High-Quality Academic Papers from HERE
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
We will process your orders through multiple stages and checks to ensure that what we are delivering to you, in the end, is something that is precise as you envisioned it. All of our essay writing service products are 100% original, ensuring that there is no plagiarism in them. The sources are well-researched and cited so that it is interesting. Our goal is to help as many students as possible with their assignments, i.e. our prices are affordable and services premium.
Looking for a Similar Assignment? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paper
Your assignment woes end here!