Discussion On Priority Actions To Take When Floating
Participation Requirement: You are required to post a minimum of three (3) times in each discussion. These three (3) posts must be on a minimum of two (2) separate days. You must respond to the initial discussion question by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday. On additional days, respond to your peers’ posts as well as additional faculty posts. Responses to peers must be posted by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday each week a discussion is due.
Step 1: Read the following articles
American Nurse Association. The American nurse. On less familiar ground. Strategies aim to reduce random floating, improve the experience. August 31, 2017. (Attached to discussion) (Links to an external site.)
Brown T. Nurses are talking about: floating and rapid response duty. Medscape Sunday September 17, 2017. http://blog.diversitynursing.com/blog/nurses-are-talking-about-floating-and-rapid-response-duty (Links to an external site.)
Davies K. Advance healthcare networks for nurses. Float assignments. Nursing advisor. http://nurseadvisormagazine.com/nurse-advisor/in-the-breakroom/float-nursing-to-reduce-healthcare-costs/ (Links to an external site.)
Nurse.com. Do registered nurses have to float to areas where they have not been trained or feel comfortable working? Is this legal? December 11, 2013. https://www.nurse.com/blog/2013/12/11/do-rns-have-to-float-to-units-where-they-have-not-been-trained-or-feel-comfortable-working-is-this-legal/ (Links to an external site.)
O’Connor K, Dugan LJ. Addressing floating and patient safety. RN Nursing February 2017-Vol 47-Issue2-page 57-58 doi:10.1097/01. NURSE.0000511820.95903-78. https://journals.lww.com/nursing/Fulltext/2017/02000/Addressing_floating_and_patient_safety.15.aspx#:~:text=%20Addressing%20floating%20and%20patient%20safety%20%201,nurses%20may%20perceive%20floating%20negatively%2C%20it%27s…%20More%20 (Links to an external site.)
RN responsibility when floating to new patient care unit or assigned to new population. https://www.rn.ca.gov/pdfs/regulations/npr-b-21.pdf (Links to an external site.)
Priority Actions to take when Floating
Floating is defined as “the reassignment of staff from one nursing unit to another based upon the patient census and acuities”. Floating is difficult and has always been a problem for nurses but safe patient care is always the goal. Floating is a reality that often cannot be avoided, particularly in the hospital setting. Floating may cause anxiety, stress, overwhelming, scary, draining, dissatisfaction, disruptive, and feeling of frustration even to a very experienced and skillful nurse to be pulled to work on a unit outside her/ his comfort zone. This might be caused by discomfort from unfamiliarity related to diverse patient population, staff, unit, and the processes to a work on a different department. Working in unfamiliar area makes nurses uneasy by not knowing what to expect. Yes, they know how to take care of the patients but without proper orientation to the unit/ area one will be floating is not easy. Whenever staff members are sent to float to an unfamiliar unit, it is expected that at least they will be able to perform the basic assessment and skills.
What Should the Registered Nurse Do When She/He Has to Float?
Before accepting patient assignment when floating to a different unit…
- Make sure you have the necessary knowledge, judgement, skills, and ability to provide the required patient care. The nurse should not accept any patient care assignment he/ she is not competent to deliver the care but instead accept limited assignment of nursing care duties you can utilize your current competence.
- Remember that the department you are floating will be glad to have you to help them decrease their patient work load. You will be responsible for your own actions and will be the one to face disciplinary action by a State Board of Nursing if you are not competent to perform the assignment delegated to you.
- Talk to the Charge Nurse of the unit you are floating if you refuse the assignment being given to you and discuss the reason of your refusal. Let him/ her know that you are there to help but they should give you patient assignments that you are competent and comfortable to handle. The Charge Nurse of your permanent unit may be able to help you as well in talking to the unit you are floating If they insist for you to take the assignment. You may seek the help of the Nursing Supervisor. You can write an incident report to cover yourself.
According to American Nurses Association (ANA), “Registered Nurses must have the professional right to accept, reject, or object in writing to any assignment that puts patients or themselves at serious risk for harm.” The Joint Commission on floating clearly states that when an employee is asked to float to a different unit, that unit must be similar to his or her own and that the nurse must demonstrate competencies specific to that unit. Furthermore, the assigned employees should be floated to areas of comparable clinical diagnoses and acuities.
Initial Discussion Assignment:
You are a nurse on a medical-surgical unit that is currently well staffed with each nurse at a 3:1 ratio. There were two call outs in the oncology unit and it is your turn to float. The charge nurse informs you that you are being floated to the oncology unit and that you have been assigned to care for four patients.
Your discussion posting must address all of the following issues:
- Summarize the concepts of floating that were addressed in the attached articles.
- What steps would you take in this scenario to ensure a safe transition into the unfamiliar unit?
- Why are these steps important?
- What are some of the legal ramifications that can occur if you accept an assigned that is out of your scope of practice?
Click here to ORDER an A++ paper from our MASTERS and DOCTORATE WRITERS
Your assignment woes end here!
Who We Are
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched for a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Do you handle any type of coursework?
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
Is it hard to Place an Order?
ORDER NOW FOR AN ORIGINAL PAPER ASSIGNMENT
1. Click on the “Order Now” on the main Menu and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the “PAPER INFORMATION” section and the system will calculate your order price/cost.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
100% Reliable Site. Make this your Home of Academic Papers.
SCORE A+ WITH HELP FROM OUR PROFESSIONAL WRITERS: ORDER NOW FOR AN ORIGINAL PAPER ASSIGNMENT
Always Order High-Quality Academic Papers from HERE
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
We will process your orders through multiple stages and checks to ensure that what we are delivering to you, in the end, is something that is precise as you envisioned it. All of our essay writing service products are 100% original, ensuring that there is no plagiarism in them. The sources are well-researched and cited so that it is interesting. Our goal is to help as many students as possible with their assignments, i.e. our prices are affordable and services premium.
Looking for a Similar Assignment? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paper
Your assignment woes end here!