Describe the four approaches to security discussed by Rourke and Boyer. Which approach is best in your opinion? Why?
Expectations are that you will write at least 3 informed paragraphs (each paragraph being about 5-6 sentences) for the essay questions, and at least one paragraph for the short answers. The questions will come from the text and from my notes of important literatures and concepts in international politics. When answering questions, I would urge you to provide a good background of the issue in your responses. Then go about demonstrating your points with specific examples and substantial evidence. Each unit assignment will be worth 20 points or about 10 percent of your grade.
Essay (Please answer only one essay question): 8 points
• If historical trends continue, the twenty-first century is unlikely to be free of war. Writing about the causes of war, patterns of arms flows, and the changing nature of conflict, construct an essay that offers some predictions about the nature of war in the new century. Please cite specific examples.
• Karl von Clausewitz was arguably the greatest Western military theorist of war. Describe Clausewitz’s theory of war. Is it still relevant in the 21st century? Why or why not? Should the US practice war in accordance with Clausewitz’s prescription? Why or why not?
Short Answer (Please answer three of five questions):
• Do you agree or disagree with Luttwak’s argument that the U.S. should allow conflict to burn itself out? Why?
• Referencing Charles Ruby, are you an advocate of the personality defect or the social learning model when it comes to understanding the causation behind terrorism? Why?
• Discuss the differences between state and transnational terrorism.
• List and explain the three types of weapons of mass destruction.
Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
1. The answer should be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
2. The response also include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
3. Also Include a reference page. The Citations and references should follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.