Dependence On Substances Such As Tobacco
Week 6: SBIRT: Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment Presentation
Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) is an evidence-based practice intervention used to identify, reduce, and prevent problematic use, abuse, and dependence on substances such as tobacco, alcohol and illicit drugs. The SBIRT model was incited by an Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommendation that called for community-based screening for health risk behaviors. The purpose of this assignment is to integrate SBIRT into nursing practice to help stimulate positive change at the individual and population focused level of care.
SBIRT consists of three major components.
1. Screening—A healthcare professional assesses a patient for concerning behaviors using standardized screening tools. Screening can occur in any healthcare setting.
2. Brief Intervention—A healthcare professional engages a patient in a short conversation, providing feedback and advice regarding concerning behaviors.
3. Referral to Treatment—A healthcare professional provides a referral to resources and/or treatment options and additional services available (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration [SAMHSA], n.d.)
1. Prior to starting the presentation, you are to read the assigned training.
2. SBIRT Education. (n.d.). Overview of screening, assessment and brief intervention: a nursing response to the full spectrum of substance use. Retrieved from https://hospitalsbirt.webs.com/nursingsbirt.htm (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
· Choose “Watch On Demand Recording”
· Start at minute 9:08/slide 12, end at 1hr 27 sec. (slide 80)
3. Or you may go directly to the YouTube video:
4. SBIRT Education. (2015, May 10). Overview of SBIRT: a nursing response to the full spectrum of substance use [Video File]. Retrieved from Overview of SBIRT: A Nursing Response to the Full Spectrum of Substance Use (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
5. Use this BNI checklist for the role play at the end: BNI Checklist (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. SBIRT Education. (n.d.). Brief negotiated interview checklist [PDF Document]. Retrieved from https://hospitalsbirt.webs.com/nursingsbirt.htm (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. You are encouraged to review the assignment tutorial found at the end of the Academic Integrity Reminder.
6. Next, choose one addiction or problem to focus on for this assignment from the options below.
· Opioid abuse
· Drug use (prescription or illicit)
· You must be specific to which drug you are choosing
7. You are required to use one of the problems listed above. Assignments that do not follow the current guidelines or use the required forms or templates will be evaluated for evidence of an academic integrity violation. After the due date, there will be no opportunity for revision or resubmission of assignments that have been uploaded to the submission area. It is your responsibility to submit the correct assignment to the correct submission area.
8. After you have chosen the addiction/problem, you are to research SBIRT training specific to that problem/addition. Before starting to work on the presentation, it is vital you understand how SBIRT is used with that particular addiction/problem. You must find at least two scholarly resources (other than readings assigned in the course) and one video resource. Search YouTube for one SBIRT training video from a reputable source that shows a provider using SBIRT with a patient. Watch this video so that you understand the steps of SBIRT.
9. You may choose to complete this assignment as a PowerPoint poster or PowerPoint multiple slide presentation. Download the SBIRT PowerPoint poster (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. or slide presentation template (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
10. Length: The poster should be one page with all boxes on template complete. The slide presentation should be no more than twelve slides, not including the title and references slides.
Below are the requirements needed for successful completion of the SBIRT: Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment presentation.
1. Introduction to the problem and/or addiction: Clearly identify the problem, and discuss specific statistics from your community related to this problem. You may use city or county data. For example, if you choose tobacco use, you should find the tobacco use rate in your city or county.
2. Problem description : Utilize one scholarly reference (not assigned in this course) to describe this problem/addiction. Discuss reasons why this may be a problem in your community. Cite all sources.
3. SBIRT description: Utilize at least one scholarly reference different from the one selected for the problem description above, and not assigned in this course, to describe how SBIRT is used with this specific addiction/problem. Identify specific steps and questions that are used.
4. Video: Locate and describe at least one video that demonstrates SBIRT related to the addiction you chose.
5. Citation: Cite all sources.
6. Community resources: Describe at least two available community resources to which you may refer people who have this problem or an increased potential for acquiring this problem. You are to provide the names of these resources and brief descriptions. You may use online resources if community resources are not available.
7. Conclusion/future implications for nursing: Provide a summary of your findings. Discuss the use of SBIRT in nursing practice.
8. References: Provide all references for all sources utilized. Use APA format, however, a hanging indent is not necessary.
Best Practices in Preparing PowerPoint
The following are best practices in preparing this presentation.
· Review directions thoroughly.
· We recommend that you use one of the linked templates. Replace the placeholder text with your own content. Use a black or colored font that is easy to read.
· Be creative. You may choose a design (from design tab) to enhance visual appeal.
· Incorporate graphics, clip art, or photographs to increase interest.
· Use short bullet points and large font for easier reading. For PowerPoint slides, use no more than eight lines per slide and no more than eight words per line.
· Do not use the notes are in the PowerPoint format (they are not visible in Canvas-Speedgrader)
· Cite all sources within the slides or poster with (author, year) as well as on the Reference slide or section.
· Proofread prior to final submission.
· Spell check for spelling and grammar errors prior to final submission.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA). (n.d.). SBIRT: Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment.
Week 6 SBIRT Assignment
NR443 SBIRT Presentation
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeIntroduction to problem|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeProblem support with scholarly literature and problem rationale.|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeSBIRT|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCommunity Resources|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeConclusion and Future Implications|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeMechanics and organization|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAPA|
|Total Points: 225.0|
Click here to ORDER an A++ paper from our MASTERS and DOCTORATE WRITERS
Your assignment woes end here!
Who We Are
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched for a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Do you handle any type of coursework?
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
Is it hard to Place an Order?
ORDER NOW FOR AN ORIGINAL PAPER ASSIGNMENT
1. Click on the “Order Now” on the main Menu and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the “PAPER INFORMATION” section and the system will calculate your order price/cost.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
100% Reliable Site. Make this your Home of Academic Papers.
SCORE A+ WITH HELP FROM OUR PROFESSIONAL WRITERS: ORDER NOW FOR AN ORIGINAL PAPER ASSIGNMENT
Always Order High-Quality Academic Papers from HERE
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
We will process your orders through multiple stages and checks to ensure that what we are delivering to you, in the end, is something that is precise as you envisioned it. All of our essay writing service products are 100% original, ensuring that there is no plagiarism in them. The sources are well-researched and cited so that it is interesting. Our goal is to help as many students as possible with their assignments, i.e. our prices are affordable and services premium.
Looking for a Similar Assignment? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paper
Your assignment woes end here!