Cardiology/Endocrine Case Study
Course Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the case study, students will be able to …
1. Apply the principles of pharmacology relative to pharmacotherapeutics across age levels including the effect of race, gender, ethnic group, and special populations.
2. Describe the uses, actions, effects and nursing implications of general classifications of drugs and selected specific drugs.
3. Investigate media resources and information technologies to enhance knowledge base of pharmacology.
4. Analyze the responsibilities of the nurse when administering drugs.
5. Apply pharmacological research to nursing practice.
Purpose The purpose of this case study is to apply concepts from pharmacology and
pathophysiology, national guidelines, and evidenced based clinical practices in the management of chronic disease. Remember this paper must follow APA guidelines for font, in text citations, reference list etc. No abstract is needed. Provide headings for the different questions in your paper.
Setting This case study takes place in a primary care setting in a small rural hospital clinic that provides health care services to predominately Latino field workers and their families. The rural clinic serves children and adults for all medical needs including well care, acute care, and chronic conditions. Some clients have seasonal insurance, state health insurance, or no insurance. Many live below poverty level according to the federal guidelines. Most do not own a vehicle. Most do not speak English; so, a translator is provided at each visit. The clinic is one hour from the nearest city where higher level of care can be offered to patients in need of specialty care. The clinic is staffed by one family medicine physician, an internist, two nurse practitioners, an RN, two LVNs, a lab tech, eight MAs and support staff. Once a week a cardiologist, podiatrist, pain specialist, orthopedist and ophthalmologist service the clinic. There is an on-site lab and a pharmacy two blocks away. There are two ambulances servicing the entire south end of the county with poor availability for emergencies.
Jose is a 47 year old morbidly obese Latino male who presents to the clinic for follow up evaluation of headaches, dizziness, ringing in his ears and frequent urination. He reports having a headache that “comes and goes” with ringing in his ears and sometimes he sees spots. Jose has taken acetaminophen and states that seems to help. Due to his work schedule of six 12 hour days, Jose has not had preventive care. He reports fatigue and is depressed regarding his current income situation. Jose has just been laid off for the season and will lose his insurance in 30 days until the restart of the harvesting season in March. He is concerned about paying for any health care that may go beyond his benefit period. Jose lives with his pregnant wife, who does not work, and their seven children in a three bedroom one bath house that they share with his parents and his brother’s family of three.
Review of Systems Subjective Data
General: occasional fatigue, gradual weight gain over the past ten years
HEENT: (+) visual and hearing changes with HA; (-) cold or recent upper respiratory
changes, (-) rhinorrhea or nose bleeds,
Cardiac: (-) chest pain or tightness, no palpitations
Respiratory: no asthma, (+) snores at night
GI: (-) pain, nausea, vomiting, constipation, visible fecal blood, (+) GERD, reports occasional indigestion after meals,
GU: (+) frequent urinary for 1 month with increased thirst
MS: (+) chronic bilateral shoulder and low back pain for 7+/- years, takes ibuprofen prn.
Neuro: (+) headaches 2- 3 times a week relieved with acetaminophen, (+) dizziness, sees spots with HA which are not related to activity, (-) weakness, (+) numbness and tingling in both feet,
(-) changes in speech or memory
Skin: (-) rashes or lesions
Psych: (+) Depressed about income, wife is unable to work and is pregnant
7 children ages 2 years-13 years.
Past Medical History: Denies problems No preventative care. Only acute care for cold or flu.
Past Surgical History: None
Social History: (-) substance abuse, (+) ETOH, drinks 1-2 beers a day and 5-6 beers on the weekend with family on Saturday and Sunday. Drinks 2 cups of coffee with cream and sugar in the AM, does not exercise except working in the fields picking broccoli, likes to watch TV at night, eats a high carbohydrate diet of rice, beans, potatoes, corn and tortillas (8-10 a day) eats at home, does not eat out often. Drinks water, no sodas or junk food. Reports drinking freshly made jimaca (hibiscus) tea with sugar and fresh cucumber lime drink with sugar three times a week. Rarely eats deserts.
Family History: Parents and siblings all living. 2 brothers and 3 sisters. (+) hypertension – father and mother, 2 brothers and 2 sisters (+) diabetes-father, mother, 1 brother and 1sister, (+) coronary heart disease- father, mother, 1 brother, (+) hypercholesterolemia- father, mother, 1 brother, 2 sisters
Physical Examination – Objective Findings
Ht. 64 inches Wt. 294 lbs. BP 176/104 mmHg HR: 92 RR: 24 T: 98.8 F
General: Well appearing, well groomed, NAD, looks stated age, morbidly obese
Eyes: PERRLA, Fundoscopy with no AV nicking or copper or silver appearance, no
Neck: supple, (-) lymphadenopathy, (-) thyromegaly,
CV/Heart: RRR, (-) murmur, rubs or gallops, lifts or heaves, tenderness to palpate, (-) carotid bruits, (-) pedal edema
Lungs: CTA bilaterally, respirations equal and unlabored
Abdomen: (+) BS x 4, soft, round, non-tender, (-) masses, organomegaly, bruits
MS: (+) steady gait, FROM all EXT, no cyanosis, clubbing, pedal pulses present, feet warm, monofilament test abnormal at R great toe, 2+ patellar DTR,
Neuro: CN 2-12 grossly intact, (-) Rhomberg, (-) Pronator drift, (-) Dix Hallpike
Skin: (-) rashes or lesions, color even WNL, hair normal distribution
Psych: appears anxious
Previous Lab and Diagnostic Testing: None available. Reports labs done in Mexico 10 years ago, does not remember results.
Current Lab Test Results – Fasted 12 hours – completed 1 week prior to clinic
Complete Blood Count/ Basic Metabolic Panel
Creatinine 0.6 mg/dl
Carbon dioxide 25 mEq/L
Chloride 100 mEq/L
Potassium 4.0 mEq/L
Sodium 142 mg/dl
Calcium 9 mg/dl
BUN 16 mg/dl
Vit D 16
Clear, pale yellow
Specific gravity 1.021
Cardiology/Endocrine Case Study
Answer the questions below using current national clinical practice guidelines, your pharmacology course textbook, previous pathophysiology coursework, and other sources such as journal articles to support your answers. Please review the grading rubric that will be used to evaluate your submission (100 points = 20% of total grade)
1. Based on the patient’s labs and the Subjective and Objective data, what are the patient’s diagnoses? (Hint: There are at least 8.)
2. Briefly discuss the pathophysiology of the top three diagnoses.
3. Discuss the guidelines for diabetes management. What is the best drug(s) of choice for this patient? What are the benefits of the drug(s) for this patient? Explain the pharmacological action of the drug(s). Explain the importance of aspirin in diabetes. Describe how these medications work to stabilize and provide optimum health.
4. Discuss the JNC 8 guidelines for hypertension management. What is the best drug(s) of choice for this patient? What are the benefits of the drug(s) for this patient? Explain the pharmacological action of the drug(s). Describe how these medications work to stabilize and provide optimum health.
5. Discuss the AACE 2017 guidelines for dyslipidemia management. What is the best drug(s) of choice for this patient? What are the benefits of the drug(s) for this patient? Explain the pharmacological action of the drug(s). Describe how these medications work to stabilize and provide optimum health.
6. Discuss non-pharmacological interventions to assist Jose in reaching his optimal health. This includes supplements/alternative/integrative medicine….
7. List factors that increase the patient’s risk for cardiovascular disease (including labs).
Calculate Jose’s 10 year atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) risk using the Framingham and Mesa calculators.
8. Discuss consequences of obesity as the one major cause of this patient’s problems that if corrected can impact all of his diagnoses. Explain how the related factors of his lifestyle affect his diagnoses. What type of diet is recommended according to the latest research? Is Jose a candidate for bariatric surgery and how does bariatric surgery help?
9. Jose has expressed his inability to afford all of the medications he needs. What medication is required and how can his other diagnoses be treated? List other disciplines that could provide a multidisciplinary team approach to assist Jose in reaching optimal health.
Click here to ORDER an A++ paper from our MASTERS and DOCTORATE WRITERS
Your assignment woes end here!
Who We Are
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched for a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Do you handle any type of coursework?
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
Is it hard to Place an Order?
ORDER NOW FOR AN ORIGINAL PAPER ASSIGNMENT
1. Click on the “Order Now” on the main Menu and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the “PAPER INFORMATION” section and the system will calculate your order price/cost.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
100% Reliable Site. Make this your Home of Academic Papers.
SCORE A+ WITH HELP FROM OUR PROFESSIONAL WRITERS: ORDER NOW FOR AN ORIGINAL PAPER ASSIGNMENT
Always Order High-Quality Academic Papers from HERE
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
We will process your orders through multiple stages and checks to ensure that what we are delivering to you, in the end, is something that is precise as you envisioned it. All of our essay writing service products are 100% original, ensuring that there is no plagiarism in them. The sources are well-researched and cited so that it is interesting. Our goal is to help as many students as possible with their assignments, i.e. our prices are affordable and services premium.
Looking for a Similar Assignment? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paper
Your assignment woes end here!